Reviving Masculine Vitality: Sildenafil’s Power against Impotence
An Overview of Erectile Dysfunction
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) is also known as male impotence or simply as impotence
- Men are said to suffer from Erectile dysfunction if he is persistently not able to achieve or maintain a firm and strong erection of the penis for a longer duration of time during sexual intercourse.
- The treatment of erectile dysfunction depends on the cause which can be physical or psychological.
- Sildenafil citrate was the first PDE-5 inhibitor
approved for treating ED in the year 1998 by the Food and Drug Administration
- Post six months of its approval by FDA, millions
of prescription were written for Sildenafil citrate.
- It belongs to class of drugs known as phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE-5)
- It is a potent PDE-5 inhibitor.
- Sildenafil citrate is a prescription based drug.
- Sildenafil Citrate is not a habit forming drug.
Mechanism of Action
enzyme PDE-5 is present in large amount inside penis. The sildenafil citrate
enhances the levels of the cGMP by inhibiting its degradation by
phosphodiesterase type 5 enzyme. The functions of cGMP are relaxation of smooth
muscles and dilation of blood vessels inside the penis. The dilated blood
vessels increase the blood flow to the penis. This increased blood flow to the
penis produces a firm and strong erection of the penis for satisfactory sexual intercourse.
Onset of action and
Duration of effect
The time it takes for the
medicine to take effect can vary among patients. On average, the duration of
its effect lasts for approximately 4 hours.
- The usual recommended dose of Sildenafil citrate
is 100mg daily.
- This medicine is to taken with a glass of water
45 to 60 minutes before sexual intercourse.
- You can take this medicine with or without food.
- Do not exceed the dose and duration of the
treatment with this medicine than advised by doctor.
- Before starting this medicine tell your complete
medical history to your doctor.
- This medicine should not be consumed by the
patients with a history of allergy to Sildenafil Citrate or any other PDE-5
- Do not take this medicine with nitrates and
other blood pressure lowering medicines.
- Avoid any activity that requires high degree of
mental alertness as this medicine can cause mild dizziness
- Alcohol, grapefruit juice and meals rich in fat
content should be avoided while taking Sildenafil citrate.
- Use of Sildenafil citrate is not recommended in
pregnant women and nursing mothers.
Common side-effects of Sildenafil citrate which subside after
stopping the medicine include:
- Pain in head, back and muscles
- Vision changes
- Nasal Congestion
- Skin rash
Steps to be
followed in case of missed dose-
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember.
- Skip the missed dose if it’s almost time for the next scheduled dose.
- Do not take an extra dose to compensate for a missed dose.
Steps to be
followed in case of an overdose-
Seek immediate medical help if you experience
the following overdose symptoms:
- Chest pain
- Sudden hearing loss
- Sudden vision loss
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular heartbeats
- Swelling of face, lips, and tongue
- An erection that lasts for more than four hours and becomes painful is considered prolonged and requires immediate medical attention.