Salient Features of Generic Atarax
- Generic Atarax contains hydroxyzine, an FDA-approved first-generation antihistamine used largely for skin itching, anxiety, and tension.
- The drug has a mild sedating effect, which is why it is also used for anxiety, tension, and as a sleeping aid.
- Generic Atarax has also been found to treat symptoms of hay fever, such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, and red or itchy eyes.
- Hydroxyzine belongs to the piperazine class of antihistamines, which are highly effective against pruritus or intense itching.
- Although Generic Atarax is available as an over-the-counter product, one must use it after check with a doctor or pharmacist.
Generic Atarax vs. Brand Atarax
As far as the safety and efficacy profile is concerned, Generic Atarax and brand Atarax are the same. They contain hydroxyzine as an active ingredient so they are effective at treating pruritus, mild anxiety, tension, and mild insomnia. However. Generic Atarax is available at a much cheaper price than the brand counterpart is.
Working of Generic Atarax
As hydroxyzine is a first-generation antihistamine, Generic Atarax works by blocking the secretion of histamine, a chemical responsible for causing itching and other allergy symptoms. Also, hydroxyzine suppresses certain activities in the brain, which is why it works as an effective drug for anxiety and tension. The drug has a bit of sedative-like effects so most people who take Generic Atarax experience drowsiness. Primarily, it blocks histamine secretion, providing relief from itching and other allergy symptoms.
Usage and Precautions
- For pruritus and anxiety, adults should take Generic Atarax 10mg. For the pediatric dose, please check with your doctor.
- Take this allergy medication orally, with or without food, or as directed by your physician. Do not take more than the advised dose of this allergy medicine.
- Inform your prescribing doctor if your condition fails to improve or if it aggravates even after using it correctly for the prescribed duration.
- Before using Generic Atarax, make sure you tell your prescriber about any drug allergies, medical conditions, or treatments you are undergoing.
- Hydroxyzine can make you a bit drowsy or dizzy so avoid indulging in any risky activities during the course of therapy, such as driving or operating machinery.
Possible Side Effects
- Dry Mouth
Generic Atarax is contraindicated to people who have the following medical conditions:
- Hydroxyzine allergy
- Severe kidney dysfunction
- Porphyria, a serious liver disorder
- Serious neurological disorders
Generic Atarax FAQs
What is Generic Atarax used for?
Generic Atarax contains hydroxyzine, an antihistamine that is used to treat the symptoms of allergic reactions. It is used to reduce intensive itching caused by urticaria, or nettle rash, and dermatitis Generic Atarax is also used to treat tension and anxiety in adults.
Is Generic Atarax a sleeping pill?
Its active drug hydroxyzine works by blocking certain substances that the body makes during an allergic reaction. It has also been found effective at treating anxiety so it may help you feel sleepy. Generic Atarax is also used as a sleeping pill in some people.
Does Generic Atarax treat anxiety?
Apart from being an antihistamine, Generic Atarax is an anticholinergic drug that has sedative properties, which is why it is used for symptomatic relief of anxiety due to psychoneurosis. It is the first-generation antihistamine to it does have sedation-like effects, treating anxiety.
Does Generic Atarax cause dizziness and drowsiness?
Yes, so you should not drive a car or operate machinery when you are under the influence of this allergy medication. Hydroxyzine does not have the risk of addiction and it is not a controlled substance.
Can I buy Generic Atarax online without a prescription?
Yes, you can buy Generic Atarax online without a prescription. However, you are advised to seek medical help before using this allergy medication.