Salient Features of Generic Claritin
- Generic Claritin is a clinically proven allergy medication, which is safe and effective for alleviating symptoms of hay fever and urticaria.
- It is available as an OTC medication so it is essential to check with a pharmacist before taking any therapeutic dose of this allergy medicine.
- The medicine helps provide relief from the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, and red/watery eyes.
- Generic Claritin has also been found effective at alleviating symptoms of urticaria that is characterized by skin rashes with intense itching, burning, or redness.
- This allergy drug has a fast onset of action and works within 1 to 3 hours of dosage, with its clinical effects at a peak within 12 hours.
Generic Claritin vs. Loratadine
Generic Claritin and loratadine are the same. They are the generic versions of brand Claritin so they are available at a much reasonable price. Brand Claritin is a bit expensive. Generic Claritin or generic loratadine is nearly 80% cheaper than the branded counterpart; otherwise, the efficacy and dosage are the same.
Working of Generic Claritin
The active drug composition of Generic Claritin is Loratadine, which is a non-sedating antihistamine. Loratadine works by inhibiting H1 (histamine)-receptors that are present in the cells of the respiratory organ, the gastrointestinal tract, and the immune system. Histamine is a chemical responsible for causing allergic rhinitis or urticaria when the body encounters an allergen. By stopping the production of histamine, Generic Claritin provides relief from allergy symptoms.
Usage and Precautions
- For allergic rhinitis and urticaria, adults must take Generic Claritin 10 mg orally, once a day, preferably at night. For children, please check with your pharmacist or doctor.
- One can take this allergy medication with or without food. The tablet should be swallowed with a glass of water, without chewing breaking, or crushing the pill.
- Before taking Generic Claritin, you must tell your doctor whether you have any medical conditions, especially related to the liver and kidneys.
- Inform your doctor if your fail to experience relief from your allergy symptoms even after taking Generic Claritin for hay fever for more than 3 days.
- You must tell your doctor about any drug allergies or treatments you have been undergoing to prevent any kind of drug interactions.
Possible Side Effects
- Mild dizziness
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth
Although Generic Loratadine is an OTC drug, it is not indicated in some people with the following conditions:
- Liver failure
- Severe liver dysfunction
- Severe kidney impairment
- Loratadine allergy
Generic Claritin is also not recommended in pregnant women, especially those who are in their first trimester. It is not for children below 2 years of age. People with neurological, hepatic, or renal issues are advised to take the drug strictly under the supervision of a doctor.
Generic Claritin FAQs
What is Generic Claritin good for?
Actively composed of loratadine, Generic Loratadine helps relieve hay fever symptoms such as nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, or red/itchy eyes. It is also good for treating symptoms of urticaria, such as skin rashes with intense itching and burning.
Is it safe to take Generic Claritin daily?
Yes, you can take Generic Claritin daily for a certain duration of time. You can take it daily when required if you suffer from seasonal allergies. Typically, this allergy drug is not taken for a longer duration of time.
Who should not take Generic Claritin?
People allergic to loratadine or desloratadine (Clarinex) are not allowed to use Generic Claritin. Also, the drug is not advised to those who have serious liver or kidney dysfunction. Please check with your doctor for more information on the contradictions of this allergy medication.
How quickly does Generic Claritin work?
Post-dosage, the drug is known to show its effect with 1 to 3 hours. Generic Claritin is effective for nearly 24 hours so you should only take one dose in a day, preferably at night.
Can I buy Generic Claritin online without a prescription?
Loratadine is a non-prescription or OTC drug, which means you can buy Generic Claritin online without a prescription. However, it is advisable to seek help from a pharmacist or a PCP before using Generic Claritin for your allergies.