Salient Features of Oculfox Eye Drops
- The Ocuflox eye drops are effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria; therefore, it efficiently treats different types of bacterial eye infections.
- It is not meant to treat viral eye infections
- Ocuflox eye drops are included in the World Health Organization’s (WHO) essential medicines lists. Thus, it is a safe drug for most bacterial contagious infections.
- This medicine works by breaching down the bacterial DNA replication, and therefore, resulting in bacterial cell death.
- This medicine is straightforward only bacterial DNA, and therefore, does not damage or interfere with human cells.
Ocuflox Eye Drops vs. Ofloxacin
Ocuflox eye drops generic counterpart is Ofloxacin. The generic drug might be available under different brand names. The active ingredient Ofloxacin is present in both generic and branded versions. It is antibiotics that work for a wide spectrum of bacteria. Therefore, these eye drops easily treats common eye infections. Both the types are the same concerning mechanism, dosage, side effects, safety measures, warnings, and contraindications. However, the only difference in both versions is its cost. The generic eye drops are available at an affordable price compared to the Ocuflox eye drops.
Working of Ocuflox Eye Drops
Ofloxacin active ingredient present in Ocuflox eye drops is categorized as quinolones. The Ocuflox eye drops acts on two important enzymes. The type II topoisomerase and topoisomerase IV enzymes help in the replication of the bacterial DNA. Inhibiting these two enzymes stops the doubling of bacterial cells.
Usage and Precautions
- Before the application of Ocuflox eye drops, remember to wash your hands with soap. Do not touch the dropper tip with your bare hands.
- Avoid using contact lenses while you are about to use Ocuflox eye drops. Discuss with your doctor if you are using contact lenses.
- Lean your head back, pull your lower eyelid looking upward. Hold the dropper directly over your eye, and release one drop in the pouch of your lower eyelid. Close your eye and look downwards for two minutes. Avoid rubbing or fluttering your eye.
- Use these eye drops daily to get the desired results.
- Avoid rinsing the dropper. You must discard the dropper after each use.
- Remember to inform your doctor if you have a history of allergy to Ofloxacin or other inactive ingredients of these eye drops.
- If you are pregnant or expecting, make sure you discuss it with your doctor before using Ocuflox eye drops.
- Your doctor will discuss the possibilities of risks and benefits of using Ocuflox eye drops during pregnancy.
Possible Side Effects
- Dry eyes
- Blurry vision
- Light Sensitivity
- Do not use Ocuflox eye drops if you are allergic to:
- The active ingredient in this ophthalmic solution
- Other quinolone containing antibiotics such as nalidixic acid
- Inactive ingredients of Ocuflox eye drops such as preservatives
- Allergy symptoms are shortness of breath, skin rash, wheezing, etc.
- Individuals who use soft contact lenses should discuss with their physician before using Ciloxan Eye Drops.
Ocuflox Eye Drops FAQs
What is Ocuflox eye drops used for?
The Ocuflox eye drops is an anti-biotic eye care solution that helps to treat eye infections. It only works against bacterial infections and not viral infections.
What are the side effects of Ocuflox eye drops?
The common side effects of Ocuflox eye drops are blurred vision, itching, redness and dryness of eyes, and pain in the eye, etc. These side effects disappear after some time.
How long should one use Ocuflox eye drops?
If you are using Ocuflox eye drops for conjunctivitis in adults or children one year of age and above, infuse one drop in the affected eye every two to four hours for two days. After two days, instill one drop in each eye four times a day for four more days. Consult your physician to know the accurate dosage.
Can you use Ocuflox eye drops for an ear infection?
Other medicines are available to treat ear infections; however, avoid using it for ears.
What special dietary instructions should I follow while using Ocuflox eye drops?
You shall ask your doctor regarding the consumption of coffee or caffeine-containing beverages.