Salient Features of Modvigil
- Modvigil is a super-effective smart drug that treats excessive daytime sleepiness in patients with sleeping disorders such as narcolepsy and OSA.
- Modvigil is one of the best medications for people who struggle to stay alert or awake during their shifts, especially night shifts because the drug promotes wakefulness.
- Unlike traditional psychostimulants, such as amphetamines or methylphenidate, Modvigil has been found to cause less locomotor activity, anxiety, jitteriness, and rebound effects.
- This nootropic agent is known not only for its waking effects but also for its mood-enhancing and memory-boosting effects.
- Modvigil has also been found effective in patients with chronic fatigue, ADHD, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, and cognitive impairment.
Modvigil vs. Provigil
Modvigil is one of the few generic versions of Provigil. Like Provigil, Modvigil is actively composed of modafinil so they are bioequivalent to each other, with the same indications, dosages, route of administration, precautions, and warnings. The only difference is the price where Modvigil is available at a much cheaper price than Provigil. People who find Provigil expensive can use Modvigil. Teva manufactures Provigil pills, while Modvigil is developed by Signature Pharmaceuticals.
Working of Modvigil
The exact mechanism of action of Modvigil in boosting wakefulness and alertness is poorly understood. However, it has been presumed that the drug helps in augmenting the secretion of certain brain chemicals, aka neurotransmitters, such as dopamine, serotonin, orexin, and GABA, among others. These brain chemicals are associated with the regulation of mood, memory, the sleep-wake cycle, and cognitive functions.
- Ideally, doctors advise Modvigil 200 mg once daily, which should not be exceeded 400 mg. Follow all directions carefully while using the drug.
- Modvigil should be taken in the morning if you are using it for narcolepsy or OSA. It should be taken one hour before your work if you are using it for SWSD.
- One can take Modvigil pills with or without food. Avoid alcohol and illicit drugs while using this nootropic. Do not take it for recreational purposes.
- Before using Modvigil, make sure you inform your doctor about the medical conditions you have or have had, especially those related to the brain or nervous system.
- More importantly, one should inform their doctor about the medications they have been taking before using Modvigil.
Possible Side Effects
- Dry mouth
- Dark urine
- Anxiety or depression
Modvigil may cause other side effects as well. Call your doctor if you experience any other unusual problems after taking this smart drug. If you experience serious side effects such as skin rashes, mouth sores, difficulty breathing or swallowing, chest pain, fast, pounding, irregular heartbeat, hallucination, anxiety, or depression, see your doctor right away.
Special Precautions and Warnings
- Tell your doctor if you smoke marijuana or drink alcohol regularly or in large quantities before using Modvigil. Alcohol and marijuana should be avoided while using this medicine.
- Modvigil may decrease the efficacy of hormonal contraceptives – such as birth control pills, patches, implants, injections, and IU devices.
- Before taking Modvigil, let your doctor know if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are nursing a newborn. If you become pregnant while taking this nootropic, call your doctor.
- You should know that this smart drug may affect your judgment or thinking so do not drive a car or operate machinery during treatment.
- Keep Modvigil pills out of reach of children. Store the pills at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Store the medicine in a safe place.
- Unused or unneeded medication should be disposed of to ensure that other people cannot consume it. Check with your doctor about how to dispose of outdated pills.
Modvigil is contraindicated in people with a known history of modafinil or armodafinil allergy. This smart drug is also contraindicated in people who take certain medications because modafinil may interact with some drugs. Also, the drug is not advisable in people with the following medical conditions:
- Severe cardiovascular disease
- Kidney or liver impairment
- Depression or anxiety
- History of substance abuse disorder
- Suicidal thoughts
- Chronic alcoholism
What is Modvigil used for?
Like Provigil. Modvigil is used for the treatment of excessive sleepiness caused by narcolepsy, sleep apnea, or shift work sleep disorder. It is also advised for patients with dementia to Alzheimer’s because it helps boost memory and cognition. The FDA approved it for narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work sleep disorder.
Is Modvigil good for studying or learning?
Modvigil has been found to aid concentration and avoid distractions while you study or learn. Many students use the drug because it is a big boost for those who fail to pay attention or concentrate on their studies. However, it is important to note that Modvigil is a prescription drug and it should be used under the supervision of a doctor.
Can I take Modvigil every day?
Modvigil stays in your system for about 12 hours so it can be taken every day or as needed, depending on the condition you will be taking it. It is ought to be taken in the morning, with or without food. Typically, this smart drug should be taken daily at the same time each day to notice an improvement.
Can I have coffee with Modvigil?
Yes, but you should limit your intake. Excessive caffeine intake while taking Modvigil is not recommended because both the drug and caffeine are psychostimulants. It is better to avoid coffee while you are on this smart drug. However, some people still have coffee while they are on this nootropic.
Can I buy Modvigil online without a prescription?
The active drug modafinil of Modvigil belongs to the Schedule IV Controlled Substances, meaning it is only available under a prescription. So, you cannot buy Modvigil online without a prescription. However, in some nations, one can buy Modvigil online without a prescription.
What should I do if I forget a Modvigil dose?
You should skip the missed Modvigil dose. Wait for the next dose and take it and then keep taking the dose as per your normal schedule. If you overdose on modafinil, you may find it difficult to go to sleep at night. Do not take more than one dose to make up for the missed one.
What special diet precautions should I take?
Talk to your physician about having grapefruit or grapefruit juice while you are taking Modvigil. That’s because grapefruits contain some substances that increase the drug’s concentration in the body, causing side effects. Also, avoid alcohol and marijuana while using this smart drug.