Salient Features of Nuvigil
- Nuvigil contains armodafinil, the R-enantiomer of racemic modafinil (Provigil) and shares many of the characteristic features of modafinil.
- Like Provigil, Nuvigil is a wake-promoting agent that is pharmacologically and clinically distinct from other psychostimulants.
- Nuvigil has wakefulness-promoting effects. However, unlike methamphetamine, Nuvigil does not induce symptoms of sleep deprivation, including rebound hyper-somnolence.
- This smart drug has been found effective at treating fatigue as well, improving one’s overall quality of life.
- Nuvigil is generally well-tolerated in patients with narcolepsy, OSA, and SWD. It has also been used by students and people to do good in academics and work.
Nuvigil vs. Provigil
Both Nuvigil and Provigil share the same indications, route of administration, and safety and efficacy profile. The dosage of these drugs varies, where Nuvigil is advised in 150 0r 200 mg and Provigil in 100 mg dosage. So, they are almost the same drug when it comes to treating excessive sleepiness. However, Nuvigil is a bit cheaper than Provigil. The generic versions of both Nuvigil and Provigil are much, much cheaper than the branded ones.
Working of Nuvigil
The mode of action of Nuvigil is currently not fully understood. However, it is presumed that the drug has selective effects on neurotransmitters such as dopamine, noradrenaline, and serotonin. It is also presumed that armodafinil has some action on orexin (or hypocretin), another neurotransmitter. The drug releases dopamine and norepinephrine to promote wakefulness. Also, the drug may promote wakefulness by boosting electrical coupling between neurons.
- Narcolepsy and OSA: The recommended dose of Nuvigil is 150 mg or 250 mg once a day in the morning.
- SWD: The recommended dose of Nuvigil for people with SWD is 150 mg taken once daily, approximately an hour before the start of their work shift.
- Nuvigil is typically advised in lower doses to older people with severe liver dysfunction. It should not be used by children.
- It is imperative to use this smart drug only after seeking medical advice because it is not recommended for people with certain medical conditions, especially those with psychiatric illnesses.
- Nuvigil may interact with certain medications so it is important to tell your doctor about the medications you take before using this nootropic agent.
- If you want to use Nuvigil to improve your concentration, attention, motivation, focus, and learning, make sure you have a word with an expert.
Possible Side Effects
- Dry mouth
These are a few common side effects of Nuvigil, which may or may not occur. Some side effects can be serious; they include skin rash, swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, hands, arms, feet, or ankles, hoarseness, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, weakness, and chest pain, or any psychiatric symptoms. Get immediate medical attention if you experience these side effects.
Special Precautions and Warnings
- Tell your doctor if you are a chronic alcoholic or drink large amounts of alcohol before using Nuvigil. The medicine is not for those who have an alcohol addiction.
- Armodafinil is known to reduce the efficacy of hormonal contraceptives (birth control pills and intrauterine devices). You must use another form of contraception while taking Nuvigil.
- More importantly, tell your doctor if you get pregnant or are pregnant before using Nuvigil. If you get pregnant while taking this nootropic, call your doctor immediately.
- Nuvigil may affect your ability to judge, think and move so do not drive your car or operate any machinery until you know you are alert and active.
- Do not consume grapefruits while taking this medicine because they increase the drug’s concentration in the blood. Similarly, avoid marijuana or cannabis during treatment.
- Do not overdose on Nuvigil. Taking more than the recommended dose of armodafinil could lead to insomnia or sleep deprivation.
People with a history of armodafinil or modafinil allergy should never use Nuvigil. Similarly, people who have certain medical conditions and how to take certain medications are not advised to use this nootropic. Nuvigil is contraindicated in people with:
- Substance abuse disorder
- Suicidal thoughts
- Maniac depression
- Severe heart, liver, or kidney disease
- Treatment containing strong antipsychotic or psychostimulant drugs
Are Nuvigil and Adderall the same?
Nuvigil is advised for excessive sleepiness due to narcolepsy, sleep apnea, or shift work sleep disorder. Adderall is advised for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Nuvigil and Adderall do not belong to the same drug classes. Both are psychostimulants but Adderall is an amphetamine and Nuvigil a wakefulness-promoting agent.
Is Nuvigil a narcotic substance?
Although not a narcotic substance, Nuvigil is a controlled substance, as it could lead to drug abuse. So, keep Nuvigil pills in a safe place to prevent abuse. As such, the drug is not a narcotic, like opioids. It does have psychostimulant effects but much lesser than narcotic drugs.
Is Nuvigil better than Provigil?
Nuvigil and Provigil appear to have similar effects, but the former is considered a good choice of the drug over the latter because of its longer duration of action. Studies have never compared these drugs because of their structural similarity and overall efficacy.
Can Nuvigil lead to depression and drug addiction?
Mild depression has been reported with Nuvigil but nothing significant. Unlike other psychostimulants, Nuvigil has been found to be a safe drug because of its non-addiction properties. Even after using it for a certain period of time, Nuvigil does not cause drug dependence.
Will I be able to buy Nuvigil online without a prescription?
No, Nuvigil contains armodafinil, which is a controlled substance and a prescription drug. It is not recommended to buy Nuvigil online without a prescription. However, in some nations, you can buy armodafinil online without a prescription.
What does Nuvigil do to your brain?
The exact mechanism of Nuvigil is unknown, but it is presumed that the drug may work by improving the secretion of dopamine, serotonin, orexin, histamine, and other neurotransmitters in the brain. It also has some action on GABA and norepinephrine.
Does Nuvigil give you energy?
Nuvigil simply promotes wakefulness so you can stay awake and feel more alert. It is not indicated to treat asthenia or fatigue. Armodafinil is prescribed if you have been diagnosed with shift work disorder (SWD), narcolepsy, or OSA. There are other medicines to treat asthenia, such as memantine and sulbutiamine.
How long does Nuvigil last?
Post-dosage, you can expect the drug to run in your system for about 12 to 15 hours. However, it depends on how you take the medicine and how your body responds to the drug. After 15 hours, the drug is eliminated from the body through GI or urinary tract.