Salient Features of Provigil
- Provigil is one of the psychostimulants with a powerful waking effect. It is a special medicine that can be prescribed to people with narcolepsy or sleep apnea.
- The pharmacological effects of this nootropic are quite different from other conventional psychostimulant drugs.
- Provigil is known for its memory-enhancing and mood-brightening effects, which is why it is advised for those who have fatigue, ADHD, Alzheimer’s, dementia, depression, and cognitive impairment.
- This nootropic has also been found to be of high interest among military personnel for boosting alertness and preventing or reducing battle fatigue.
- Many students and hard-working professionals often use Provigil to perform well because its active drug modafinil has alertness-promoting effects.
Provigil vs. Nuvigil
Provigil and Nuvigil are brand-name medications for modafinil and armodafinil, respectively. Provigil is a bit expensive than Nuvigil. However, they share the same indications and dosage. Modafinil and armodafinil are almost the same drugs as they are advised for treating excessive sleepiness caused by narcolepsy and sleep apnea. They both belong to drugs called nootropics. The manufacturer of both Provigil and Nuvigil is Teva Pharmaceuticals.
Working of Provigil
The primary mechanism of action of Provigil in treating excessive sleepiness and promoting wakefulness remains elusive. However, studies have shown that the drug has anti-oxidative and neuroprotective effects. Its cognitive-enhancing effects are due to the drug’s effect on the central nervous system. The drug is known to work by boosting certain brain chemicals, including serotonin, dopamine, and orexin, among others. Some of these brain chemicals regulate the sleep-wake cycle, which is why the drug boosts wakefulness and alertness.
- Since Provigil has an action on the brain, it is better to use the drug exactly as advised by a doctor. Follow all directions carefully before using the drug.
- For daytime sleepiness due to sleep apnea or narcolepsy, take the dose once in the morning. For shift work sleep disorder, take the dose one hour before starting your work shift.
- Please note that Provigil keeps you alert and awake for a sufficient amount of period, so do not take it close to your bedtime.
- As a precautionary measure, inform your doctor about the medical conditions or drug allergies, if any, before using Provigil; it is not advised in people with certain health issues.
- It is imperative to inform your doctor about the treatment you have been taking before using this smart drug because modafinil interacts with certain medications.
- Do not overdose with Provigil. Stay away from alcohol, caffeinated beverages, and illicit substances or drugs while using this nootropic.
Possible Side Effects
- Headache or dizziness
- Trouble sleeping
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Upset stomach
- Confusion and irritability
Remember, your doctor has advised Provigil after considering its benefit to you rather than the risk of side effects. More than 90% of people using this smart drug do not have serious side effects. See your doctor right away if you have irregular heartbeat, mood changes, agitation, confusion, hallucinations, or thoughts of suicide. Get immediate medical help if you experience chest pain.
Special Precautions and Warnings
- Narcolepsy may reduce your ability to be alert and react quickly. Although Provigil helps keep you stay alert, you may not be able to safely do things.
- After taking this nootropic, do not indulge in any outdoor activities, including riding, driving, or operating machinery.
- Provigil may also make you a bit dizzy. Avoid alcohol, marijuana (cannabis), or any other party drugs, which can make you dizzier.
- Tell your medical provider if you are pregnant or if you are planning to become pregnant. Women should not become pregnant while using Provigil.
- The medicine’s active drug modafinil may harm the fetus or unborn baby. Check with your doctor for non-hormonal birth control pills while using Provigil.
- It is unclear whether this smart drug passes into breast milk and affects the newborn. Consult your physician before breastfeeding.
Provigil is contraindicated in those who have a history of modafinil or armodafinil allergy. The smart drug is also contraindicated in people who have the following medical conditions:
- Angina or chest pain
- Liver cirrhosis
- Chronic kidney disease
- High blood pressure and heart disease
- Mental health issues, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, or suicidal thoughts
Provigil is not advised for people with chronic alcoholism or a history of drug addiction. Although drug addiction with this nootropic is rare, some people with drug abuse disorder may develop drug dependence.
Is Provigil a safe drug? Is it a controlled substance?
For most people, Provigil is a safe drug. In fact, the incidence of side effects with this nootropic is less. Modafinil is an FDA-approved drug so its safety profile is well-recorded. In the US, modafinil comes under the drugs called scheduled IV controlled substances. It can be obtained only after providing a prescription.
Does Provigil change your mood and thinking?
In some people, Provigil can change their mood or thinking, making them feel more focused, motivated, and confident. Some people may even experience euphoria, others may call it “high.” Being a psychostimulant drug, Provigil does change your mood and thinking.
Does Provigil cause drug dependence or addiction?
Smart drugs are popular among young people and may carry some addiction risks. However, Provigil has been found to be non-addictive even after using it for a certain period of time, which is why it is one of the safest nootropics and smart drugs.
Can I buy Provigil online without a prescription?
Provigil contains modafinil, a prescription smart drug. So, you cannot buy Provigil online without a prescription. However, there are many online pharmacies that sell Provigil without a prescription. In some nations, one can buy Provigil online without a prescription.
Does Provigil improve my memory?
The drug can boost your memory and alertness because it is believed to boost dopamine secretion in the brain. However, the drug is not approved for the treatment of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. In some people, the drug has been found effective at recollecting memories.
How does Provigil make one feel?
Provigil is an FDA-approved smart drug for narcolepsy and OSA. It is also approved for people who have irregular work shifts. However, off-label, this nootropic is used to boost energy and enhance focus. The drug has been found to have powerful effects on the brain, just like Viagra does to the penile organ.
Is Provigil a narcotic drug?
Although not a narcotic, Provigil is one of the controlled substances. It belongs to a schedule IV prescription drug in the United States, meaning it may cause physical or psychological dependence or addiction. However, the drug has shown a lower potential to cause dependence, which is why it is safe even if you use it for a certain period.