Salient Features of Generic Periactin
- Generic Periactin contains cyproheptadine, one of the oldest allergy medications, patented in 1959 and approved for medical use in 1961, so it is safe and effective.
- The drug is highly effective at treating allergic reactions such as hay fever and pruritic dermatoses.
- Generic Periactin provides instant relief from sneezing, nasal blockage, runny nose, itchy eyes, and skin rashes with intense burning, itching, and redness.
- Off-label, this medication is used to treat and prevent migraines. In infants, cyproheptadine syrup is used to treat cyclical vomiting syndrome.
- Generic Periactin is also used to treat allergic conjunctivitis, cold urticaria, angioedema, and contact dermatitis.
Generic Periactin vs. Cyproheptadine
Generic Periactin and cyproheptadine are the same. Simply put, cyproheptadine is the active ingredient of Generic Periactin so there is no difference. However, generic cyproheptadine or generic Periactin is much more affordable than the branded version. One can use Generic Periactin if they feel the branded version of too expensive.
Working of Generic Periactin
When an allergic reaction takes place in the body, our immune system fights off the allergen, and during that process, our body releases a natural substance called histamine, an inflammatory chemical. Generic Periactin (cyproheptadine) blocks the secretion of histamine to bring down the inflammation. Cyproheptadine also blocks another natural chemical in our body called serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter.
Usage and Precautions
- Doctors often advise Generic Periactin dosage according to your needs and your response to the drug. The drug comes in 4 mg potency.
- For adults with hay fever or urticaria, doctors may advise Generic Periactin 4 mg (one tablet) three to four times a day. The total dose should not exceed more than 20 mg a day.
- You can take this allergy medication with or without food. Do not increase or decrease your dosage, or take it more often than advised.
- Tell your physician if your condition fails to improve or worsens even after taking Generic Periactin pills as advised.
- More importantly, before treatment, inform your doctor about the medical conditions or drug allergies you have, and about the medications, you have been taking.
Possible Side Effects
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Blurry vision
- Dry mouth/nose/throat
- Mood changes
- Urinary troubles
Generic Periactin is a first-generation antihistamine and a prescription drug so it has a few limitations on its usage. People with the following medical conditions are contraindicated from using this allergy medication:
- Known drug allergy to cyproheptadine
- Glaucoma or increased intraocular pressure
- High blood pressure
- Peptic ulcer
- Benign enlarged prostate
- Chronic constipation
Generic Periactin FAQs
What is Generic Periactin used for?
Generic Periactin is used for the treatment of hay fever and urticaria. It offers relief from a stuffy or runny nose, sneezing, and red/itchy/watery eyes. It also offers relief from pruritus associated with rashes, dermatitis, or eczema.
Does Generic Periactin make you drowsy or sleepy?
As with all other first-generation antihistamines, Generic Periactin may can sleepiness, drowsiness, dizziness, or tiredness. Therefore, doctors advise you to stay away from performing risky activities, such as driving and operating machinery, while using this allergy medication.
Can I buy generic Periactin use for weight loss?
Cyproheptadine, the active drug of Generic Periactin, is an inhibitor of histamine and serotonin. The drug has been found to increase appetite and weight. In fact, some studies have found those who received cyproheptadine had a significant increase in appetite and weight.
Can Generic Periactin cause CNS depression?
The drug may cause CNS depression in some people, which may impair their mental abilities. Therefore, the drug should be used with great caution.
Can I buy Generic Periactin online without a prescription?
Yes, you can buy Generic Periactin online without a prescription. However, it is recommended to check with a doctor before using this allergy medication, as it causes mild sedation.