Salient Features of Modafinil
- Modafinil is an effective psychostimulant with a waking effect, which is designed for the treatment of excessive sleepiness caused by narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and SWSD.
- As far as the pharmacological profile is concerned, Modafinil is much different from conventional psychostimulants.
- Modafinil rarely caused side effects such as anxiety, jitteriness, or rebound effects, which are commonly experienced with traditional psychostimulants.
- The drug has also been effective at treating any disease-related fatigue, ADHD, Alzheimer’s disease, age-related dementia, and cognitive impairment.
- Modafinil is sold under the brand Provigil. Generic Modafinil pills are much cheaper and easily available than Provigil.
Modafinil vs. Armodafinil
The mechanism of action of Modafinil and Armodafinil is unknown, but they are believed to act on certain neurotransmitters or brain chemicals. Their effects may be similar to other psychostimulants but they are structurally different from each other. Also, Modafinil may have a shorter half-life compared to Armodafinil, meaning Modafinil may be considered a weaker drug than Armodafinil. Modafinil and Armodafinil are powerful wakefulness-promoting agents and they have stimulant-like effects.
Working of Modafinil
Like many other psychostimulants, Modafinil promotes wakefulness and alertness by stimulating the brain. Although the exact mechanism of action is unknown, the drug may work by increasing the secretion of certain neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) that regulate the nervous system and allow the nerves to communicate with each other. In simple words, Modafinil boosts brain function by releasing neurotransmitters that are associated with your sleep/wake cycle and mood.
- Oral Modafinil pills are usually taken once a day with or without food. Take it once in the morning for narcolepsy or sleep apnea. Take it an hour before starting your shift for SWSD.
- Make sure you take the smart drug at the same time each day, without skipping or missing the dose. Do not change the dose and time of the drug without seeking medical help.
- Modafinil could be habit-forming so do not take larger doses or do not take it for a longer duration than recommended by your doctor.
- Before taking this nootropic, let your doctor know about any drug allergies or any medical conditions you have; this will help you use the drug safely.
- More importantly, before taking Modafinil, tell your doctor about the prescription and non-prescription drugs you have been taking; this will help prevent any drug interactions.
Possible Side Effects
- Dizziness or drowsiness
- Dry mouth
Generally, in most people, Modafinil does not cause side effects. In fact, very few users have reported the above-mentioned side effects. Call your doctor if you experience any unusual symptoms while taking this smart drug. Seek help immediately if you have skin rashes, itching, difficulty breathing/swallowing, chest pain, hallucinations, anxiety, or depression.
Special Precautions and Warning
- Drinking alcohol during treatment with Modafinil is strictly prohibited. A combination of alcohol and this smart drug can increase the risk of adverse effects.
- People with alcohol or drug addiction should never use this nootropic. There is a great chance of drug abuse if you have a history of substance use disorder.
- Modafinil may affect how hormonal contraceptives work or even delay their efficacy. Check with your doctor for other birth control options when you are on this medication.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should stay away from using Modafinil. The drug may affect the fetus and newborn.
- Modafinil may affect your cognition so refrain from driving a car or operating machinery until you feel you are alert and awake.
- Abstain from alcohol, cannabis, natural stimulants, or grapefruits while taking Modafinil.
Like other prescription smart drugs or psychostimulants, Modafinil has a few contraindications that you should know about. People with the following medical issues are not advised to take this nootropic:
- Liver or kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Brain disorders
- Psychological illnesses
- Drug addiction or substance abuse disorder
- Allergic to Modafinil or Armodafinil
What is Modafinil prescribed for?
Modafinil treats excessive sleepiness due to narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, or shift work sleep disorder. It is also advised for patients with Alzheimer’s, dementia, ADHD, or depression because it has been found effective at boosting memory, learning, focus, and alertness.
Is the smart drug good for studying?
Modafinil has been approved by the FDA to treat people with excessive sleepiness caused by narcolepsy. However, most students use the drug to study well for their exams, off-label. Although there is not enough scientific evidence, it is believed that Modafinil may help students to focus on their studies.
Is Modafinil good for your brain?
The exact working of Modafinil is unclear, though it helps release some neurotransmitters in the brain, suggesting that it may boost your performance on complex tasks. However, there are no larger studies to prove that the drug is good for your brain.
Can I have coffee with Modafinil?
Experts advise limiting the excessive intake of caffeine while taking Modafinil because they both act as a psychostimulant. One should also avoid OTC medicines containing caffeine whenever possible while they are taking this nootropic. A couple of small cups should be fine but not more than that.
Can I buy Modafinil online without a prescription?
You must have a prescription to buy Modafinil online because it is a prescription-only drug and a controlled substance. You cannot buy Modafinil online without a prescription, although some websites do sell it without a prescription. Many people use this smart drug off-label for boosting cognition.
What exactly does Modafinil do to your brain?
Recent studies have suggested that modafinil can enhance your cognitive performances, such as memory, attention, executive functions, focus, concentration, and even motivation. It has also been found to increase your alertness and response reaction and accuracy.
How many hours does Modafinil last?
The half-life of Modafinil is between 10 and 12 hours. However, in some patients, the drug can last for up to 15 hours. After 12 to 15 hours, the drug is metabolized in the liver, getting excreted from the system. However, some inactive metabolites of the drug are eliminated through urine.
Is Modafinil a smart drug?
Yes, Modafinil has been categorized into prescription smart drugs. It keeps you alert, awake, and focused for longer periods with little to no side effects. However, experts have been warning consumers that OTC or off-label use of smart drugs is not a good idea.
Does Modafinil work immediately?
After dosage, the drug starts working within 30 to 60 minutes. If you take it with a heavy or fatty meal, his nootropic may take a little longer to kick in. Make sure you take the pill with water. Avoid coffee or any other drinks that contain caffeine.